|Click here for full-size campus map.|
We know campus does not look like it did when you left last May. So here is our short, fall 2013 parking survival guide. In it you can learn:
- Where new parking spaces have been added; when more will open up
- Where’s the newest shuttle stop, and faster shuttle arrival times
- Best places to park for a bookstore visit (hint: not where you parked last year)
- How to ride city buses for free; other alternatives to driving to campus
- How to get between the dorms and campus during road construction
So, here’s the facts
|Seawolf Shuttle stops every six minutes; every 20 at UC.|
- Seawolf Shuttle frequency will increase to every 6 min; every 20 min at UC. Parking your car for free at UC, and using the shuttle to get to campus, could be a smart strategy.
- Health Sciences Building across Providence Drive has an expanded parking lot, with 60 new spaces.
- The North Lot, behind Gordon Hartlieb Hall (GHH) has 50 new spots; within a month, it will have 50 more. New Seawolf Shuttle stop and a new Pay 'n' Park machine here, too.
- Pay ‘n’ Park machines upgraded to be faster, take credit or debit and EXACT CHANGE.
- Spirit Drive will re-open for circulation Aug. 21.
- The lot in front of Wells Fargo Sports Complex, home to the new Engineering Building, only has two parking rows open on the far west end of the lot. When you visit the bookstore for books and gear, don’t try to park here. Next best places? Behind Rasmuson Hall or behind GHH.
- Parking enforcement begins again Aug. 26 from 7:30 am-7:30 pm M-Th. Parking is always free Fridays and on the weekends.
- UAA has sufficient parking for demand; perimeter lots (East Lot near Arts and West Lot near Lake Otis Parkway) are consistently underutilized. Pragmatic strategies include parking in one spot for the day and using the Seawolf Shuttle, bikes, footpaths and spines to navigate campus.
- See ‘Alternatives to driving to campus' below; UAA has good options.
- Elmore Road with its shiny new roundabout will re-open Sept. 2. Until then, navigate between campus and the dorms:
- On foot: Walk along Wellness Drive; it has a new sidewalk
- By car: Get to Tudor, turn north on Elmore
- By Shuttle
- U-Pass (ride the People Mover or Valley Mover for free anytime anywhere)
- Zimride (online carpool system)
- Hertz on Demand 24/7 (short term car rental from campus)
- Seawolf Shuttle